Perhaps because men are traditionally expected to project an image of strength, we don’t always think of them as suffering from mental health concerns. And yet, 75 percent of all suicide victims in the United States are men, with 6 million males suffering from depression every year. For men from the LGBTQ+ community, the rates are even higher. Raising awareness of male mental health concerns is an important first step toward breaking the stigma and helping men get the help they need.
The mental health problem list below outlines some of the most common conditions that afflict men in the U.S.:
1. Depression. One of the most prevalent mental health disorders in the U.S., depression is largely unreported among men but can be a leading cause of suicide.
2. Anxiety. This common mental health problem afflicts millions of men each year and can lead to high blood pressure and heart disease.
3. Bipolar Disorder. Bipolar disorder is a mental health condition that causes extreme mood swings, fluctuating between emotional highs and devastating lows.
4. Eating Disorders. Although commonly associated with women, 10 percent of people with anorexia and bulimia are men, as are 35 percent of people with binge-eating disorders.
5. Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder in which people have trouble interpreting reality. Ninety percent of people diagnosed with schizophrenia by their 30s are men.
Whether it’s a common mental health problem like depression or a rare condition like schizophrenia, suffering from a psychiatric disorder can have devastating consequences. Too many men don’t get the help they need for their mental health concerns because of the lingering stigma attached to psychiatric issues. The mental health problems listed above may prove shocking for many people, but it’s important to be aware of the crisis in men’s mental health and for men who are suffering from one of the listed conditions to get the help they need.
If you’re suffering from depression or another mental illness, one treatment that can help is ketamine therapy. A safe and innovative treatment, ketamine infusions have proven effective in up to 70 percent of depression patients, including those who have struggled with other traditional medication in the past.
Contact VIP Ketamine Clinics
Contact VIP Ketamine today to get more information or to schedule an appointment.